Wednesday, January 13, 2010

smoking in the sun



Continuing the smoking trend this week with this photo taken in the fall.

As I said yesterday I have many photos of people smoking in my collection. As I looked closer I realized that all of the smokers in my photos were women - this is very interesting because that up until the early 20th century women who smoked in public were seeing as promiscuous, the act was even associated with prostitution. The act of women smoking in public was frowned upon greatly. Women were not seen as being graceful or proper if they smoked in public.
Compare that today- my friend here is smoking at the front of Emily Carr -a very public place- yet one would hardly criticize her of appearing improper or ungraceful.

Ill look more into the psychology of smoking and style on Friday.

1 comment:

Jessica Lisse said...

Cette image est sublime!